Ezgi Yurdanur (’20) to host art exhibition ‘Lipstick on a Pig’ Nov. 16

The top half of the flyer to promote Ezgi Yurdanur’s (‘20) art exhibition “Lipstick on a Pig.” The event will take place Nov. 16 from 4-8pm at Mezzanine, The Koppel Project Central 49-50 Poland Street, London, W1F 7ND.
Flyer by Ezgi Yurdanur

Diverse forms of art and talent, showcased in exhibitions, are filling the cosmopolitan metropolis of London.

Ezgi Yurdanur (’20) will manifest her unique art in her first solo art exhibition “Lipstick On a Pig” Nov. 16 from 4-8 p.m. at Mezzanine, The Koppel Project Central 49-50 Poland Street, London, W1F 7ND. 

Describing her style as “distorted” and “dead-looking,” Yurdanur’s exhibition will showcase her sculptures, paintings, photography, and animation—the main piece in her show. All of her art surrounds the central theme: the inner self of individuals. 

This past summer, Yurdanur did a course at Parsons Paris, – a school of art and design in France – where she worked on a mixed media project about her inner self. Her project included transforming her photography into a specific style of drawing. 

Yurdanur draws a connection between the unattractiveness of her characters to its humor.

“I have fun when I’m drawing because it’s funny,” she said. 

The unique selling point of her style is the absence of pupils in the characters’ eyes, along with big and saggy eye bags. 

The lack of these features “illustrate[s] the emptiness [of the characters],” she said. “[They]’re all sad and depressed-looking.”

The name of the exhibition was inspired by Charlie Park (’20) when he said to Yurdanur that the phrase “lipstick on a pig” sounds like her original artist statement for her exhibition.

“To put lipstick on a pig” is an English rhetorical expression, which conveys the message that making superficial or cosmetic changes is a futile attempt to disguise the true nature of a person, according to Wikipedia. 

Park insinuated that the distorted nature of Yurdanur’s drawings cannot be made attractive. 

When she first heard the expression, “[she] was like, ‘oh yeah, that sounds like a cool expression.’” 

Recently, Yurdanur has opened a tattoo service in which she customizes tattoos in her style. However, there will not be a tattoo parlor at the exhibition. 

She is also planning to commission printing of her drawings on duvet sheets, t-shirts, and mugs. 

“Lipstick On A Pig” will be shown Nov. 16 from 4-8 p.m. at Mezzanine, The Koppel Project Central 49-50 Poland Street, London, W1F 7ND. 

For more information, find the Lipstick On A Pig posters around school. 

Find more of her artwork and drawings on her public Instagram account @someclappedart.