Sustainability Council hosts make your own sweater event

Tomas+Belinky+%2820%29+makes+his+own+ugly+sweater.+The+lunch-time+event%2C+hosted+by+the+Sustainability+Council%2C+offered+a+chance+for+students+to+get+in+the+holiday+spirit+while+combatting+fast+fashion+and+waste.+
    Photo courtesy of Dom Alberts
    Tomas Belinky (’20) makes his own ugly sweater. The lunch-time event, hosted by the Sustainability Council, offered a chance for students to get in the holiday spirit while combatting fast fashion and waste.

The Sustainability Council hosted a make your own ugly Christmas sweater event at Top O Dec. 5. Students were encouraged to bring a sweater from home and decorate it festively with materials provided by SusCo.

SusCo Co-President Dom Alberts (‘20) said he was satisfied with how the event turned out.

I was really happy with how it went. We got so many people, the table was swarmed, and it’s really cool… Now, [students] are just using a little bit of tape and that’s all of the waste they’re creating,” Alberts said.

Alberts said the event was organized to “combat fast fashion at ASL” and in doing so, be more sustainable with Christmas festivities. 

Photo courtesy of Dom Alberts
    Students gather at Top Orange to make ugly sweaters. The event will be running again at lunch on Dec. 6.

“Instead of having people just buy a sweater for one day, you can just use very basic materials, a sweater you already have [to create a sweater], and you can wear that sweater after Christmas,” he said.

Leading up to the event, SusCo representatives spoke with the Student Council to organize an incentive for students to participate. The proposal was that students who created an ugly sweater with the materials during the event would earn double spirit points in the Ugly Sweater Day coming up on Dec. 12. StuCo will inform students as to whether this is the case soon.

“We’re running it again tomorrow, so if people want to come by they can,” Alberts said.