Students abide by new closed campus rules

John Towfighi
    Now that students are only permitted off-campus lunch a limited number of days each week, it can be difficult to decide where to eat. Experimenting with new restaurants and eating from old favorites can not only help support local businesses but will make off-campus lunch all the more enjoyable.

The High School was kept on campus for lunch Nov. 6 following the new national lockdown. This lockdown calls for the closure of most workplaces, except for those who cannot work from home, and schools.  

Instead of going off-campus to eat lunch, students – other than those who were in visual arts, physical education or sciences who ate in the cafeteria – were asked to get lunch from the cafeteria or bring from home and eat with the rest of their classmates in their block four classrooms. 

As it is the first day of lockdown, the administration is still undecided about how upcoming lunch periods will be structured. 

I hope that we can give students the opportunity to get off-campus in some capacity, but I am just not sure yet.

— Director of Student Life James Perry

Perry said that the administration is still uncertain about how lunch will look in the coming weeks, however, the administration hopes to come to a decision by the end of the week. Perry said the administration’s, as well as his own intentions, are to try to allow some sort of open-campus within the coming weeks. 

“I hope that we can give students the opportunity to get off-campus in some capacity, but I am just not sure yet,” he said. “We are finalizing the decision in the next couple of days. We don’t know for sure yet, but we’re gonna let everybody know by the end of the week.” 

Ultimately, Director of Student Life James Perry said the school must abide by government restrictions while also acknowledging what is best for the community.

“We need to look at what is implied and what is directly mandated in terms of this lockdown, and how we should comply,” he said. “I think it’s balancing what works for our school and also what we legally need to be doing.”