Deputy Editor-in-Chief: Print Isabel Link and Staff Writer Antoine Warnery debate the continued use of masks in the High School (Graphic by Mia George)
Deputy Editor-in-Chief: Print Isabel Link and Staff Writer Antoine Warnery debate the continued use of masks in the High School

Graphic by Mia George

Point Counterpoint: Should we keep wearing masks?

November 26, 2021

Yes

Deciding whether to protect other people from a deadly virus is seen by many as a moral dilemma. But is it a dilemma so much as a responsibility we must all take on? 

Since July 19, 2021, masks have not been widely mandated across the U.K., according to GOV.UK. Of course, the government can recommend precautions for people to take, for example wearing a face covering in crowded places such as Oxford Street. But a suggestion is just that – no one is required to follow it. 

Organizations including the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization have advocated for mask usage and its efficacy throughout the pandemic. Their guidance is often updated for different places based on vaccinations, outbreaks or other location-specific factors. 

I could spew statistics about the effectiveness of masks and face coverings of each type, but after over a year and a half of living in the pandemic, what evidence haven’t you been told? Though, people often want tangible, visual proof. 

Back in May 2020, CNN broadcast a video simulating the conditions of a cough and modeling how far and how many droplets travelled when a person did so unmasked. A representation such as this illustrates the sinister invisibility of the virus’ spread. 

“Oxford COVID-19 study: face masks and coverings work – act now” read the headline of an article published July 8, 2020, by The University of Oxford. Over a year later, and this would not sound out of place if it were posted now after the millions of deaths worldwide. 

Around the world, some people are still trying to urge their reluctant friends, family members and fellow citizens to put a mask on. 

While many people still wear masks, some have effectively stopped since “the world is back to normal.” Despite vaccinations and an overall decreased death rate in the U.K., rates of positive testing continue to fluctuate, according to data compiled by the U.K. government. This may feel like our “new normal,” but it does not have to be so prolonged. 

A November 2020 article published by Healthline referenced a similar prediction by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington: the IHME estimated that if 95% of people in the U.S. wore masks regularly until March 1, 2021, 130,000 more people may have survived. Additionally, the IHME claimed if 85% of the U.S. wore masks, around 96,000 less people would have died. 

Although we cannot change the past, our community here at ASL can still control our immediate circumstances. 

The school is also in a unique position. After the July restriction easings, guidance posted on GOV.UK under “Face coverings in education” was retracted. However, up until Oct. 18, sudents wore face masks unlike the British schools nearby. 

In a school where not everyone is eligible for vaccination due to age limits, it only makes sense to re-implement some mask requirements. And while it is true that most cases of children and young people are not fatal, most of us also come into contact with older family members, nieghbors and people on transportation. 

Therefore, we could prevent even the unfortunate, rare cases of severe effects among children and infection among the vaccinated. With this personal choice, the current pandemic could become a thought of the past.