Trend report: New Balance shoes, shoulder bags, flare jeans

Anahi Pellathy
Culture Editor: Print Anahi Pellathy overviews the school’s trends. Recently, the school has seen a rise of New Balance shoes, shoulder bags and flared pants.

New Balance shoes

New Balance, a shoe and athletic clothing retailer founded in 1906, has recently experienced a major spike in popularity. Popular figures for younger generations, such as rapper Jack Harlow and K-pop phenomenon IU, are featured on the brand’s Instagram account. With the shoes’ boom in pop culture, New Balance has taken the internet by storm.

Sam Hamilton (’23) said New Balance sneakers are a trend he enjoys seeing emerge around the school.

“I really love my pair,” Hamilton said. “I’m happy I got them since this style became super popular and sold out everywhere.”

Ozan Cetin (’23) wears New Balance shoes in the style 550. (Anahi Pellathy)

Shoulder bags 

This year, many High School students have been opting for shoulder bags rather than traditional backpacks. With styles ranging from cloth tote bags to upscale leather variations, this trend is visible from Top O to the Black Chairs.

Alexis Gerwe (’23) said she regularly uses a black tote as her school bag as she appreciates the versatility of the style over a traditional backpack.

“It looks cute, and it makes me feel more normal walking around after school,” Gerwe said.

Celia Allen (’24) wears a black shoulder bag with brown handles. (Anahi Pellathy)

Flared pants

Flared jeans first appeared in American sailing uniforms but were later popularized in the 1970s, according to The Guardian. Recently, this style has had a resurgence.

Millie Rajguru (’24) wears a pair of dark blue denim flares with a novelty button detail and said the style reminds her of the ’70s and exudes a fun energy.

“Ever since they came back in style or when I first saw them on online stores, I just loved it so much,” Rajguru said. “It’s retro.”

Millie Rajguru (’24) wears dark blue denim flares with a unique button detail. (Anahi Pellathy)