Rion Emery (’25)

February 15, 2023

Rion Emery (’25) plays Brooke Windham during the performance of the musical “Legally Blonde” Nov. 16, 2022. Emery rehearsed for the play five days a week and performed in front of a live audience. (Photo courtesy of Rion Emery)

Rion Emery (’25) said she started performing in a musical theater group at a young age when a teacher encouraged her to branch out from her shyness. Emery said one can relate to characters through acting. 

“You can really find yourself in characters that you didn’t necessarily think had connections to your real persona and personality, but you end up really being able to analyze yourself and other people,” Emery said. “It’s really peaceful.”

Emery also said that she has been involved in various summer camps to foster her passion for acting, including Interlochen, a performing arts summer camp. Emery said acceptance to this program was a “big accomplishment” given the “intense audition process” along with a “very low acceptance rate.”

However, Emery said there are challenges to participating in performing arts, including the disappointment of not getting roles. 

“You don’t always get the part that you want,” Emery said. “You kind of just have to live up with trying your best and never giving up.”