Tamia Windless shares experience as only Grade 9 athlete in varsity basketball

Photo by Laila Taraporevala
Tamia Windless (’26) dribbles back down the court as she gets ready to shoot. This past season was Windless’ first time on the varsity basketball team.

Tamia Windless (’26) has been playing basketball for five years and said she tried out for a school team because it has always been her favorite sport. She is the only Grade 9 athlete on the girls varsity Basketball team. 

Co-captain Katherine Demetris (’23) said Windless’ passion and commitment to the game make her a valuable player on the court. 

“For her to start as a freshman, I think it’s a big responsibility and a big role,” Demetris said. “She stepped up a lot and contributes to our team.”

Windless said being the only Grade 9 student on the team was intimidating at first, but she felt welcomed straight away and supported by her teammates. 

“Everyone is really nice, so it’s great and it’s really fun,” Windless said.

Co-captains Casey Johnston (’23) said she would describe Windless as “composed” and “calm” especially during close games.

“She always has a leveled head when we’re playing, even when it gets a little chaotic, and this makes us a better team overall,” Johnston said.

Despite the time commitment of a varsity team, Windless said she has effectively balanced her academic and athletic life.

“I try to manage my time as best as possible since training ends quite late and I have out-of-school basketball,” Windless said. “I stay after school to work as much as I can.”

In addition, Johnston said Windless’ dedication to the game and desire to improve has inspired her teammates to work harder and strive for success. She said she can handle pressure and perform well in important situations, especially when it comes to her “exceptional” free throws and her determination during games. Johnston said she predicts Windless will have a bright future in basketball. 

“She’s gonna become a really important leader on the team as she goes forward,” Johnston said.