Editorial: Editorial Board reinforces values, establishes structural changes

Sophia Bateman
As editors transitioned into their new roles May 1, The Standard’s 2024-25 Editorial Board considers their goals and purpose for the coming year. This editorial was originally published in the June 2024 issue of The Standard.

As we approach the upcoming school year, The Standard has implemented a multitude of new policies to strengthen our standards of quality, student advocacy and inclusion. We have significantly restructured the Editorial Board, which is now led by two Editor-in-Chiefs rather than one, and introduced new roles such as the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Editor and various media editors. By making these changes, we aim to preserve the high-quality content standards our publication strives for.

We seek to further our involvement and connection to the school community by increasing our presence on social media with the use of a wide range of online platforms. We began this process through the addition of new roles such as the Social Media Editor, Broadcast Editor and Photography Editor. These positions will help ensure that our content is diverse, dynamic and accessible, while still maintaining our high level of excellence across all mediums.

With the implementation of the new DEI Editor, we continue to uphold our commitment to conscious reporting by implementing systems that thoroughly track our sourcing, ensuring that we represent everyone’s voice equally. We will continue to take various factors of diversity, including positions at the school, gender, cultural background and age into account when reporting with the intent of eliminating any potential biases in our content and ensuring we give a platform to a variety of voices.

This new position also aims to guarantee respectful communication of sensitive topics or stories in order to minimize harm to any individuals in the community. We will be mindful of our words and phrasing when referring to groups of individuals to appropriately communicate our message. In all cases, the DEI Editor will be an additional step in the editing process, flagging areas of improvement and developing the publication’s protocol on such identity-based matters. Furthermore, another key element of this role will be to ensure that we’re covering the diverse identities at our school equally.

In an era where disinformation can easily spread through social media, our duty as a publication to responsible and truthful journalism becomes even more crucial.

— Editorial Board

Additionally, we will continue to uphold our standard of accuracy and credibility. As world events such as the U.S. Presidential election come into focus, we aim to dismantle misinformation and ensure that our readers are receiving the truth. In an era where disinformation can easily spread through social media, our duty as a publication to responsible and truthful journalism becomes even more crucial.

We vow to encourage student voice to the strongest degree possible and aim to combat self-censorship and silence by providing a platform that serves as an outlet for individual and communal voices alike. The recent suppression of student protests at multiple U.S. universities exemplifies the idea that student voice is something that must be valued and protected. It is at the heart of social progress and is critical to upholding the values of democracy and free speech. In order to ensure that we can serve primary information to the school community, we will report with reliability and timeliness.

We promise to serve as a critical meeting point for the school community, valuing accountability and ensuring integrity and justice among students, faculty and the administration. We will empower reporters to use their voices to share diverse perspectives, discuss difficult issues and advocate for the changes they want to see in our community.

Our dedication to representing student voice is at the heart of The Standard, and through the implementation of Editorial Board changes, we will work to uphold our values of accuracy, transparency and community.

Congratulations to the new Editorial Board for 2024-25:

Editor-in-Chief: Online Sophia Bateman 
Editor-in-Chief: Print Oskar Doepke 
Deputy Editor-in-Chief: Online Tara Behbehani 
Deputy Editor-in-Chief: Print Ella Friel 
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Editor Blu Belinky 
News Editor: Online Nassef Sawiris 
News Editor: Print Giulia Scolari 
Opinions Editor: Online Rahil Punshi 
Opinions Editor: Print Yasmine Rivera 
Features Editor: Online Sophia Hsu
Features Editor: Print Ruby Rogers
Arts Editor: Online Zoe Karibian 
Arts Editor: Print Annika Skorski 
Sports Editor: Online Frank Harriss 
Sports Editor: Print Audrey Cushman  
Broadcast Editor Jaden Gardiola 
Photography Editor Laila Taraporevala 
Social Media Editor Nuria Alvarez-Martin 

This editorial was originally published in the June 2024 issue of The Standard.