Dylan Chambers shares teaching journey

Dylan+Chambers+teaches+Jelani+Conteh+%28%E2%80%9926%29+in+Algebra+II+May+28.++He+shared+his+experiences+from+the+12+years+he+has+spent+teaching+at+the+school.+
Tara Behbehani
Dylan Chambers teaches Jelani Conteh (’26) in Algebra II May 28. He shared his experiences from the 12 years he has spent teaching at the school.

Now in his 12th year of teaching at the school, Math Teacher Dylan Chambers is a familiar face to many. Spending his childhood in neighborhoods surroundingASL and receiving a degree in mathematics from the University of Sussex, Chambers is a long-time Londoner. 

Before moving to ASL, Chambers said he worked as a teacher for two years in a demanding British comprehensive secondary school position, pushing him to take a sabbatical year after feeling “burnt out” and overworked. 

When Chambers first joined the school, he said the American curriculum was “a whole new experience” for him in contrast to the British system he was accustomed to, leading him to be passionate about experiencing the new culture..  

“It was all very interesting and new to me,” Chambers said. “ASL has a very international student population and teacher population which I value. It’s also unique because of the amount of resources we have at ASL, and the facilities we have.”

Chambers initially began teaching in the Middle School as a Grade 7 math teacher, where he has spent the majority of his ASL career .

In the 22-23 school year, he transitioned to the High School, where he now teaches Geometry with Proof, Algebra II and Precalculus with Analysis. Chambers said the skills required to teach such classes starkly contrast with those needed for middle school math.

“Students are much more mature in high school, and also the pace and the teaching content is much more important,” Chambers said. “You have to be very focused, and grades are a big part of that.” 

Additionally, Chambers said he enjoys teaching Algebra II the most as it “gives him more variety and is more enjoyable”

Furthermore, Chambers said he noticed a drastic attitude change from both students and faculty when approaching different math departments. He said while the Middle School curriculum was centered around “enjoying math and being creative,” math in the High School has a “constant time pressure.” 

While acknowledging how each student is different from the other, Chambers said he prefers to teach those with a specific set of values that maximizes the potential for the student’s progress. 

“There’s not one specific type of student I like to teach, but the most important [characteristics] for any subject, not just math, are dedication, effort and ambition,” Chambers said. “Once someone has those three things, no matter the math level or ability, it’s really easy to make any progress with students.” 

Chambers said the positive mindsets across the community have allowed him to grow as an individual. 

“One of the things I love most about the school is the community with a shared sense of values, a shared sense of purpose and a positive community,” Chambers said. “I’ve been very inspired by the people I’ve met in this community, and it has really inspired me as a person.”