300 words: Francisco Cardenas-Pena

TYLER ZSCHACH
ONLINE EDITOR

K-12 Technology Support Specialist Francisco Cardenas-Pena felt that he had to move from the small town of Sozamoso, Columbia to London for his family. He and his two brothers possess an inseparable bond. A bond so tight that he and his other brother felt obligated to move to London to be close to his brother who fell in love and decided to move here. The middle of three brothers, Cardenas-Pena has always used his family as a crucial motivator that drives his work ethic.

Employed at ASL since 2005, it is that sense of family has driven his ethic, where his job is defined by helping other people. Cardenas-Pena works to “alleviate the problems” that arise throughout the school, working with faculty, and students with queries regarding technology. Cardenas-Pena cites the very safe atmosphere of the school, and the unique perspective of the students here as his favorite parts of the school. In the last seven years, there have been several overhauls of technological systems of note, and Cardenas-Pena is happy to be here to help the community navigate through the technological age.

However, Cardenas-Pena does not let life at ASL define him. He is a fan of “mind-bogglers,” such as puzzles and other mental exercises to keep him sharp, despite what he claims to be his advanced age. Occasionally, he can be found swimming, or participating in other means of exercise; however, his work and relaxation tendencies have superseded the lion’s share of his time.
Cardenas-Pena possesses a sense of satisfaction stemming from his strong family values, and it has transferred to his work. Even a decade down the road, he hopes to still be at ASL working with students and faculty. His passion for technology and the school allows him to cherish the opportunity to work at ASL everyday.

tyler_zschach@asl.org