Potential laptop program discussed

PAUL RYAN
STAFF WRITER

The administration is currently discussing a potential laptop program to be implemented in the High School. Ideally, the program would be initiated at the beginning of the next academic year, should the decision be made to arrange it.

The program would be similar to the one that exists in the Middle School, where each student is provided one laptop by the school, though High School students will be expected to buy their own laptops, which will have to be brought to school every day. “Financial aid would be available for those who need it,” Principal Paul Richards, who is leading the effort to realize the program, affirmed.

Richards said that this program has the potential to significantly improve the learning process. “The goal is to better support the teachers who are already using technology in ways that enhance learning,” he said. “[This program] does not mean, however, that we would force teachers to use technology in ways that do not help your learning.”

The administration has considered this idea for a number of years and has observed many schools in which this system has worked effectively. “It is time we have a systematic approach to technology at the High School,” Richards said.
The Student Council was used by Richards to get a general consensus on the idea. “It was a place to start,” Richards said.

Student Council president Julian Nebreda (’13) underlined the current prominence of technology. “When it comes to technology, it is important to stay one step ahead, as it is evolving constantly in the modern world,” he said.
However, the laptop program, should it be introduced, would not be without its flaws. “Students who already have very heavy backpacks would also not benefit from having to carry a laptop to and from school every day,” Nebreda said. “There would definitely need to be a variety for students to choose whether they want anything from a MacBook Pro to a MacBook Air.”

paul_ryan@asl.org
Andre Purits (’15) is keen on the idea of a potential laptop program. “It would be extremely beneficial as it would help both students and teachers learn together,” he said.
Clayton Sasaki (’14) believes that despite its benefits, the laptop program is not necessary due to the devices’ accessibility. Presently, any student may rent a laptop from the library using their student I.D. card. “Not everyone has a laptop but at least every student has access to one,” Sasaki said.
Richards will finalize the decision by the end of November.