News Briefs: Issue II

WRIST BANDS RAISE FUNDS

Third grade student Kyra Trinity Kentopp spoke at a recent assembly about raising money for the American Cooperative School of Tunis (ACST). ACST was recently attacked by Islamic rioters in as part of widespread anti-United States protests.

Kentopp also spoke at school assemblies in the Lower, Middle School. She is selling bracelets to help raise money to help the school rebuild from the tragedy. She has raised £1297 since she began sales. High School students are selling baked goods at Top Orange to help.

LIBRARY CARDS DISTRIBUTED

In a new program run by the Mellon Library, Westminster Library cards were recently distributed to high school students. This program was created for students studying courses on which the Library does not have extensive resources, Head Librarian Karen Fields said. It will allow students taking classes such as Psychology and Economics to use the large online databases of the Westminster Libraries. However, the library cards are not mandatory.

COUNSELING IMPLEMENTED

Counselor Liane Thakur launched a new lunchtime course to help students suffering with test anxiety. During the six-weeks this will run in room O-320, Thakur will teach students learning skills to help them with their test anxiety and will also teach them how to apply these skills to all other aspects of school-related anxiety. This is open to all students. A survey that she sent out in the beginning of the year indicated that there was a need among students for assistance with test anxiety.

TALLY TAKES MEDICAL LEAVE

English teacher and department head Meghan Tally will miss nine weeks of school for a medical leave as she will be having hip dysplasia. On November 14 she will have a periacetabular osteotomy. The operation will entail a long recovery. However, she said she is very grateful that it can be fixed, but will miss out on running which she loves. Tally will also be be missing all of her classes for her nine week absence. Each class has a substitue teacher filling in, one of them being Head of School Coreen Hester.

‘TUNNELING’ INAUGURATED

Jordan Plotner (’12) was commissioned by The Association for Music in International Schools (Amis), to compose a piece for the Honor Jazz Festival. At that time, Plotner was a senior at ASL. The festival took place this past September in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where Jordan’s piece was performed. Five students from ASL (Clement Gelly (’13), Alfred Astor (’13), Julia Morris (’14), Jonah Wolfson (’13) and Will Smithies (’13)) were involved in the festival, and performed Plotner’s piece “Tunneling.” Plotner traveled with the ASL students to Kuala Lumpur to watch his piece be performed.