iPhone 5 review: Fast, not flawless

SHAHID MAHDI
CULTURE EDITOR

There’s no doubt about it – the iPhone is the most coveted, in-demand gadget today. Since Apple revolutionized the smartphone market in 2007 with the launch of the original iPhone, the world has been flooded with talk of Angry Birds, Instagram and, more recently, SnapChat. The iPhone has transcended the borders of the conventional phone, and is now perceived to be a sleek resource and problem-solver for seemingly any task.

As the latest in a line of incredibly lucrative products, the iPhone 5 bore the pressure of captivating millions: The pressure of asserting dominance in a market with Google and Samsung biting at their heels.

It comes as a relief then, that one can safely say the 5 probably won’t be outranked anytime soon. With its heightened screen, slimmer body, and brand new operating system, one can’t help but feel that the HTC Android and Galaxy will be walking home with their tails between their legs.

Speed seems to be the emphasis on the iOS 6 operating system, and it must be said that it doesn’t have many flaws. According to Apple’s official website, iOS introduces over 200 new features, all presented in a glossy, chrome interface. More can be asked of Siri, and Facebook connection buttons have been integrated into many more Apple-based applications, permitting users to share photos, ideas, and videos at a lightning pace.

Two apps of note for students are the Google Drive app, which is optimal for micromanaging essays and powerpoints on the go, and the Quizlet app, which provides test-studying tools. Updates to multimedia include an 8-megapixel camera.

It’s not exactly perfect, though. The most notorious example of the 5’s flaws is when the Apple-made Maps application apparently depicted amenities with the wrong name. For example, a public park would be listed as an airport, and vice versa. Interestingly enough, the replacement of the Google-made Maps could reflect the animosity between Google and Apple as two of the technology titans.

There’s another little problem that will irk iPhone loyalists – the new dock receiver isn’t compatible with any previous generation’s USB connector. This also means that stereo systems with the predecessors’ dock won’t be functional with the 5 either.

What’s exciting is that the iPhone is never really finished. It is constantly being updated; as I write I’m certain several new apps, meetings and ideas are being thrown around at Apple’s Cupertino headquarters. Thus, we can complain, we can relish, and we can wait in seven or more- hour long queues, but we’re never really getting the permanent version of the iPhone. In the mean time, however, choke up £529 and grab yourself an early Christmas present. Be quick; for all I know, the 6 might be out tomorrow.

shahid_mahdi@asl.org