News Briefs

Phone Chargers Available

In a new program put forward by the Student Council, iPhone, Blackberry and other smartphone chargers are now available for checkout from the library.

This addition came after Student Council received multiple requests from students. “[StuCo] discussed the suggestion in a meeting of ours and agreed that, like laptop chargers, phone chargers would be very convenient and broaden the wide range of utilities the Mellon Library offers to students,”Student Council Vice-President Tarek Masri (’13) said.

ALTERNATIVES RETURN

Alternatives are returning to the High School for the 2013-2014 school year. Alternatives were canceled for the 2012-13 school year after the previous years spring alternatives conflicted with the schedule.

The dates for Alternatives are assigned to Monday, September 30 until Thursday, October 3 2013. “Alternatives have moved back into the fall because there is already too much going on in the Spring months,” Dean of Students Joe Chodl said.

STUCO ELECTIONS AHEAD

Student Council will hold its officer elections on March 1.

The current officers of Student Council are Secretary Millie Goldrup (’14), Treasurer Hayden Nadler (’14), Public Relations Officer Chris D’Angelo (’13), Vice President Tarek Masri (’13) and President Julian Nebreda (’13).

Adam Koren (’14) and Issy Kelly (’14) are the two StuCo Presidential candidates for the 2013-2014 school year.

No campaigning is allowed before the election.

Student Play Coming

The Advanced Acting class is currently working on a production of The Picture of Dorian Gray, which is an adaptation of Oscar Wilde’s only novel, The Picture of Dorian Gray. In the play the character of Dorian Gray attempts to regain his youth. The play is scheduled to run from April 24 to 27.

The leading role of Dorian Gray will be performed by Reed Campbell (’14). The two other leading roles of Henry Wotton and Bassel Hallword will be performed by Matthew Bentley (’13) and David Cress (’13) respectively.

Tally Returns

After leaving school more than two months ago due to hip dysplasia, English Department Head Meghan Tally is back at ASL.

Tally had periacetabular osteotomy on November 14 in order to fix this problem in her hips and spent the last two months recovering. It typically takes about a year to fully recover from this type of surgery.

In her absence, her classes were covered by English Department colleagues and Head of School Coreen Hester, who taught a section of the Women’s Literature Elective offered to juniors and seniors.