Teacher photo in gallery

On May 20, HS/MS Visual Arts Teacher Jennifer Thomas got the chance of a lifetime when one of her photographs was picked out of “thousands” to be featured in a photography show. The gallery, which specializes in digital art and photography, included 75 black and white photographs in the show taken by finalists from around the world.

Thomas was in attendance at the show, titled “Shadow Stories: The Art of Mobile Black and White,” and was held at the Soho Arthouse in New York City.

Thomas originally took the featured photo in Venice, Italy during the Art Biennial last year.

She explained that when the photograph was originally taken, “The city was cloaked in a thick fog, making the whole abandoned dockyard area very atmospheric.” Because of this, she titled the piece, ‘Ephemera’ to reflect the fleeting nature of the mist that was rolling over the city of Venice.

Two days before the show in New York City, Thomas’s photography was also featured on a multi media blog, the App Whisperer. On the website, Thomas was able to feature 21 of her photographs and discuss her approach to images and the visual world. All of Thomas’s photos on the website were taken with her phone. Through this, she used different applications on her phone to edit them.

charlotte_young@asl.org