Electric fire causes fire alarm

On January 13, at around 12:00 p.m., students, faculty and staff exited the building due to a fire alarm. Principal Jack Phillips confirmed the cause of the evacuation, which was a small electrical fire that occurred in a light unit in the Farmer Family gym.

Director of Operations Jim Heynderickx explained that the fire alarm was pulled after a popping sound began to come from the light and smoke started coming out of it. While the School has had the light fixtures for a while, they check them periodically. “They’re serviced every two years to make certain that the internal components are okay. I believe they were serviced [two summers ago], so we’ll take a closer look at it again because our number one concern is that they’re safe,” Heynderickx said.