Food trends of 2016

Food is not just something you eat anymore, it has changed to something artistic and something that is heavily influenced by food bloggers, journalists, and by prominent social media figures. 2017 will undoubtedly have new food trends that will be popularized throughout social media.

Bowls: Food bowls were popular in 2016, but were somewhat limited to smoothies, acai and breakfast type foods. We can probably expect to see savoury meals for dinners more often such as grain and sweet potato bowls. You can try this at the Mae Deli, on 18-20 Weighhouse Street, London, W1K 5LU.

High Tech Food: Already gaining momentum in 2016, high tech foods such as vegan meat and supplements will become more widely available and popular in the new year. Companies are attempting to mimic meat as closely as possible without using any animal products. This is available in Nama a vegan restaurant located on 110 Talbot Road, London W11 1 JR.

Purple: Studies suggest that the darker color a food is, the more antioxidants and nutritional benefits there are. Ella Woodward otherwise known as Deliciously Ella is a celebrity nutritionist who often suggest incorporating more purple into people’s diets. Look out for purple corn, black rice, purple asparagus, and purple carrots. These can be found in local farmers markets and Whole Foods.

Sweet Potato: Slices of sweet potato are going to be used instead of toast. Sweet potatoes have a high source of vitamin D, which is important to incorporate in diets of people living in cities which don’t receive a lot of sunlight. Sweet potatoes do not spike your blood sugar, but rather release sugar content slowly over the course of the day. You can make this at home by following the recipe below.

Recipe: Sweet potato toast with avocados

Ingredients:

1-2 sweet potatoes, ends cut off and sliced into thin pieces

1 avocado

Salt and Pepper to taste

1 egg

Method:

1. Place the sweet potatoes in the toaster and toast until the color has become slightly darker.
  2. Smash the avocado on the toast and top with a fried egg.
  3. Season with salt and pepper.

Dark chocolate for breakfast: Recent studies show a correlation between dark chocolate and health benefits, such as boosting memory and focus. By starting your day with eating dark chocolate, it is thought that the day will be more productive. This possibility suggests that cakes and baked goods incorporating the sweet will become more available. A way to incorporate dark chocolate into your breakfast can be through granola. This can be made by following the recipe below.

Recipe: Dark Chocolate Granola

Ingredients:

1 and 1/2 cups of oats

3/4 cups of blanched almonds

1/2 cup of coconut flakes

1/4 cup of dark cocoa powder

2 teaspoons of flaked sea salt

1/3 cup of coconut oil (measure when melted)

2 tablespoons of maple syrup

1 teaspoon of vanilla

3/4 cups of chocolate chips

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 110 degrees celsius.
  2. Mix the oats, almonds, coconut flakes and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl.
  3. Mix the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla in a separate bowl and pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until combined.
  4. Lay the granola in a thin and even layer on a large sheet pan.
  5. Bake for 25 minutes and mix the granola. Return to the oven for another 25 minutes.
  6. Add the chocolate chips on top of the granola, and place back in the oven for another 7 minutes.
  7. To store the granola, first cool it for 2 hours. Then scoop the granola into airtight jars.

Photos by Staff Writer Phaedra Letrou-Papamarkakis