Chavin devotes 12 years to equestrianism

Photo courtesy of Romy Chavin
Romy Chavin competed in a show in May 2019 at Littlebourne Equestrian Centre. She came in second place.

After watching her older sister ride her horse every weekend when she was 5 years old, Romy Chavin (’21) said that she felt inspired to take up the sport herself. 

Chavin has since competed at numerous equestrian competitions, which she said is one of her favourite aspects of the sport.

“I have a lot of fun competing, and I think it really highlights the community,” she said. “The equestrian community is really like no other because of the hard work it takes to really succeed in the industry.”

Chavin said that part of that hard work is not just learning the skill of horse riding, but also taking care of the horse. 

“It’s very difficult to take care of a horse, it takes a lot of early mornings,” she said. “You always have to be out there in the cold and rain, and because you have another animal that’s relying on you, you can’t take a day off if you don’t feel like it.”

You always have to be out there in the cold and rain, and because you have another animal that’s relying on you, you can’t take a day off if you don’t feel like it.

— Romy Chavin ('21)

Chavin said that one of her favourite shows that she has competed in was the 2019 Sunshine Tour in the show jumping category. 

Chavin said she spent the year prior trying to qualify for the Tour, which is done by placing in the top four at certain shows, and had “a lot of fun” competing against the few hundred people at the Tour. She placed seventh in the junior pony 60 cm event.

As well as competing at various competitions, Chavin said she has also experienced “cool opportunities” through her equestrian Instagram account. 

“I’m a brand ambassador for a couple of brands, and I’ve received sponsorship kits,” Chavin said. “There’s a really big Instagram equestrian community, and there’s lots of brands and things that are constantly looking to sponsor riders.”

Looking to the future, Chavin said she doesn’t see herself show jumping as a career since it’s difficult to make a lot of money as a professional Equestrian. However, she said she would like to continue riding as a hobby.