Jake Fellows (’21) commits to Georgetown University for tennis

Jake+Fellows+%28%E2%80%9921%29+gets+ready+to+return+a+shot+in+a+varsity+tennis+match+against+Highgate+in+May+2019.+Fellows+committed+to+Georgetown+University+for+tennis+Aug.+17.+
Photo courtesy of Colin Bridgewater
Jake Fellows (’21) gets ready to return a shot in a varsity tennis match against Highgate in May 2019. Fellows committed to Georgetown University for tennis Aug. 17.

Jake Fellows (’21), who started playing at age 4, verbally committed to Georgetown University Aug. 17 for tennis.

After narrowing his list of Division I schools, Pepperdine University, located in Malibu, California, and Georgetown, located in Washington D.C., stood out most for their academic programs. 

Fellows said that it was hard to pass up living in Malibu, however, he felt that even if he wasn’t playing tennis, Georgetown would be the school where he fits best. 

“Georgetown is academically prestigious, but is also located in a great city for opportunities, especially politics and business,” he said. “I also have a friend on the team, so I got the inside scoop, which was great.”

Tennis wise, Fellows said his ability would put him “in the middle of the pack,” which appealed to him too.

In Grade 10, Fellows said his college recruitment process began when coaches reached out to him, which made him realize that playing tennis in college would be a “good path.” 

It feels great to have decided on Georgetown, the team is great too, so I’m looking forward to it.

However, Fellows said that the process was “hard enough living in London away from many of the coaches,” but also that the COVID-19 pandemic had a “really annoying” impact on it. 

“I was planning to go play in the U.S. during spring break, but I couldn’t play in front of the coaches in person,” he said. “A lot of tournaments and visits were canceled, so I had to send a lot of videos to coaches.”

Looking ahead, Georgetown does not accept early decision applications, which is how many student athletes apply to college, so Fellows said that he is concentrating on keeping his grades up for the Regular Decision deadline and preparing to sign the National Letter of Intent in November. 

The NLI will legally bind Fellows to play for Georgetown for at least one full year.

“It feels great to have decided on Georgetown, the team is great too, so I’m looking forward to it,” Fellows said.