Student designs app to support CPR process

Photo used with permission from Anna Kim
Anna Kim’s (’21) app instructs users on how to perform CPR in real-time. Kim released her app to the Apple App Store Oct. 4.

Anna Kim (’21) released “CPR Live” – an app that she worked on over the past six months that dictates the process of CPR – on the Apple App Store Oct. 4.

“‘CPR Live’ is an app that aids the users through the process of CPR by basically giving step by step instructions through audio, text and images,” she said. “It also provides a compression counter as well.”

Kim said that she started developing the app in the Game App Development course she took last school year, and then taught herself how to use different programs that would allow her to eventually release her app on the Apple App Store.

I’ve always been interested in both medicine and computer science, so when I took this class I was like, ‘oh this is definitely a great opportunity for me to combine both of my interests’

— Anna Kim ('21)

“I learned how to use Swift and XCode, which is basically a programming language and the Apple service for creating apps for the App store,” she said. “I learned first the language and I just experimented with the app and tried to develop it using different software methods that we had learned in class.”

Kim said that she decided to use the Game App Development course to develop an app that focused on one of her interests.

“I’ve always been interested in both medicine and computer science, so when I took this class I was like, ‘oh this is definitely a great opportunity for me to combine both of my interests,’” she said.

CPR, Kim said, is a widely used method of helping those who have stopped breathing. 

However, since “not a lot of people know how to perform it,” she ultimately hopes her app will be able to save lives.

“If my app in any way could help people to save lives, then that’s amazing to me,” she said.

Looking towards the future, Kim said she will keep developing her app.

“I’ve gotten lots of feedback on the app so far and there are definitely things that I can update,” she said. “I will be working on coding new updates [such as] expanding the number of devices that can use it because right now only iPhones can download it.”