Top 5 sustainable fashion brands for autumn

Zoe Karibian
The fashion industry accounts for 10% of global carbon emissions, according to the BBC. As you shop for the autumn season, here are five fashion brands to stay sustainable.

Whether you are eagerly anticipating the end of summer or just using the changing season as an excuse to indulge in some retail therapy, there’s no denying the excitement that comes with fall fashion. While I always adore a Zara splurge, there’s something special about choosing sustainable and ethically-made products. You’re not only elevating your wardrobe but also contributing to the preservation of natural resources and reducing the fashion industry’s carbon footprint.

Omnes

Omnes is the closest store to an ethical Topshop you’re likely to find. The brand’s list of credentials is serious, from the Forest Stewardship Council and Oeko-Tex-certified viscose fabric to labels made from recycled plastic bottles. Additionally, if you’re looking for a must-have item for the upcoming season, their oversized cardigans are a standout. Due to its exceptional quality and comfort, this cardigan has become a staple in my wardrobe, making it both stylish and cozy when the temperatures begin to drop.

Happy Earth

Happy Earth is all about sustainability and making a real impact through organic materials and eco-friendly packaging. When you buy their ethically-made clothes, you also get to choose how to make a positive impact on the planet, whether it’s planting trees, cleaning up trash or fighting climate change. The brand’s autumn-inspired color palette featuring warm and earthy tones perfectly captures the season’s essence.

Tentree

Tentree uses planet-friendly materials including organic cotton and tencel to create high-quality clothes. They also use renewable energy in their shipping to reduce negative environmental impact. For every item purchased, Tentree plants a tree in an effort to regenerate ecosystems, capture carbon and provide planting jobs in communities around the world, and have planted over 100 million trees according to their website. Moreover, Tentree offers a wide selection of jackets, coats, sweaters and cardigans to cater to your autumn wardrobe needs. The only drawback is that the brand falls on the higher end of prices.

Colorful Standard

Colorful Standard’s commitment to environmentally conscious practices is evident in their choice of materials, favoring recycled options that minimize chemical use, limited water consumption and waste in their production process. They’re also innovative, using low-waste cutting techniques and incorporating recycled packaging. By opting for manufacturing facilities closer to home, they reduce the environmental impact of long-distance shipping. While they are known for their activewear, Colorful Standard offers an extensive range of cozy sweaters in many shades, from “Polar Blue” to “Sandstone Orange,” ensuring you stay colorful while supporting their sustainable mission. 

Earth Wardrobe

Earth Wardrobe is a game-changer in sustainable fashion. They use eco-friendly materials such as bamboo, organic cotton and regenerated cotton to create stylish basics. Whether you’re in search of a cozy dropped-shoulder sweatshirt or a versatile zip-up hoodie, Earth Wardrobe offers a diverse selection of options to keep you covered. What sets them apart even more is their budget-friendly pricing, making sustainable fashion accessible to all. In a world where environmentally conscious choices can often be accompanied by a hefty price tag, Earth Wardrobe emerges as a refreshing and delightful alternative.

As you update your wardrobe this autumn, take the opportunity to make a statement and a difference, one sustainable purchase at a time. Your wardrobe — and the earth — will thank you for it.