Boys varsity basketball game ends in 51-50 win against Lambeth College

The varsity boys basketball team won their first game of the season 51-50 against Lambeth College Dec. 5. Jacoby Yousey (’27) scored a game-tying three-pointer and the game-winning free throw. The win ultimately sparked celebrations from students in attendance, with many people running onto the court after the game ended. Varsity head coach Tyler Sealy said he was happy with the team’s growth. “They definitely improved in this game, having to come down from a little bit of a deficit, but we’re getting better every day,” Sealy said.

Jacoby Yousey (’27) watches patiently as he scores his game-winning free throw. Yousey said playing such an important role given his tenure was unimaginable. “Since I’m a freshman, I didn’t expect to get crazy amounts of playing time,” Yousey said. “I’m still trying to process it.” (Charlie Fennelly)

Aris Perrotis (’25) drives down the court as he looks for an open pass. Perrotis ended the game with five assists, demonstrating his effectiveness in the front-court. (Charlie Fennelly)

Jacoby Yousey (’27) attempts to gather possession of a loose ball. Varsity boys basketball coach Tyler Sealy said the team showed excellent character having to play against players much bigger and older than them. “It’s all about effort and heart,” Sealy said. “We may be undersized, but we still made sure that [in] every play we were battling.” (Charlie Fennelly)
Students crowd the Farmer Gym after the final buzzer to congratulate players after their win. Grace Blanton (’25) said she came to the game to understand school spirit as a new student. Blanton said there was a strong display of camaraderie from the student body. “It was really cool to see how everybody rushed the court,” Blanton said. “I could definitely feel the spirit.” (Charlie Fennelly)

Jack De Picciotto (’24) jumps in an attempt to score a basket. De Picciotto scored, bringing the game back to a two-point deficit with 40 seconds to go. (Charlie Fennelly)

Jacoby Yousey (’27) attempts a long three-pointer as Lambeth College players try to close down the shot. Yousey said he practiced being on defense for the first few days of practice which proved helpful in the game. “I was pressing their point guard quite a bit, and that really helped with all that cardio and defense,” Yousey said. (Charlie Fennelly)