Restaurant chain Chilango offers variety of Mexican food

Aden Ovenden
Located in Soho, Chilango Brewer Street offers a wide range of Mexican food and drinks. I visited Chilango for lunch to experience the food in person for the first time.

The restaurant Chilango, with seven locations throughout London, provides customers with delicious and efficient Mexican street food. Three of the seven locations have seating, allowing you to eat in, while the other four offer takeout.

I have eaten takeout burritos from Chilango before, and the range of flavors create a delicious combination. However, I had never been to one of their restaurants. I decided to visit for lunch, weaving through the bustling streets of Soho to experience my favorite Mexican food.

As a fast food restaurant, Chilango the layout and seating are better suited for quick and convenient meals that do not take a long time.

After passing the vibrant murals in the front, you reach a counter with a vast array of fillings to choose from. Although there were a few people in front of me, the setup of the counter ensured the line passed quickly, and I was able to place my order within minutes of entering the restaurant.

From here, you can order one of Chilango’s enticing set meals which range from burritos to tacos to protein bowls. Although the extensive menu made it difficult to narrow down my choices, I settled upon the Chilango burrito, filled with grilled chicken, coriander lime rice, black beans, pico de gallo, asada, sour cream and cheese.

The harmony of flavors did not disappoint. The freshness of the tomatoes in the pico de gallo perfectly complemented the piquant grilled chicken, and the coriander lime rice was exquisitely seasoned and fluffy.

There was a plethora of drinks available, but I chose the Mexican soda Jarritos, which comes in a variety of fruit flavors. I picked guava, a delicious pink fruit native to Mexico. The total cost of the meal was £26, which, due to the size and quality of the burritos, was a fair price.

Although a similar order of two burritos and two drinks from the Chipotle app is £22, it should be noted that the greater taste of the Chilango burritos makes the small price difference worth it.

The atmosphere of the restaurant was dynamic, uplifting and colorful. Lively music filled the venue, and the lighting was warm, creating a welcoming environment. The seats were comfortable, and the long benches are suited for a meal out with a large group of friends.

The limited space provided by the restaurant, especially with regard to seating options, means Chilango is not the place for a long meal. Yet, it fulfills its purpose as a fast-food restaurant, and I would recommend it to any foodie who appreciates Mexican cuisine.

Orders are taken at a counter in the back of the restaurant which is staffed by two people. Above the counter were large posters that displayed a variety of ingredients.

Chilango offers many ingredients that are similar to Chipotle or Tortilla. Customers can make their own burrito, tacos or bowl with proteins and vegetables.

Chilango is a small restaurant that offers a few tables if you want to eat in. The style and cramped nature of the restaurant make it better suited for take-out.