New compulsory prerequisite art class enriches curriculum

Foundations+of+Visual+Arts+students+Elise+Eddy+%28%E2%80%9927%29+and+Maddie+Kotsen+%28%E2%80%9927%29+create+a+collage+as+part+of+the+class%E2%80%99s+Observing+and+Responding+unit.+The+course+was+made+a+mandatory+prerequisite+for+students+who+would+like+to+take+any+other+visual+arts+classes.+
Maya Janssens
Foundations of Visual Arts students Elise Eddy (’27) and Maddie Kotsen (’27) create a collage as part of the class’s Observing and Responding unit. The course was made a mandatory prerequisite for students who would like to take any other visual arts classes.

Students are given a long list of art classes to choose from when they enter High School. In order to meet graduation requirements, students must obtain two art credits through completing four semesters of art courses. While picking art classes as a Grade 9 student, I struggled, unsure of which art forms I should commit to. Foundations of Visual Arts was a good starting point for my learning because it ensured I was able to try a bit of everything. 

Options for visual arts classes include a wide variety of topics, from painting to photography. Due to the little information provided about these courses, it is hard for students to choose which ones are the best fit, especially when students have no prior art experience. The new mandatory Foundations of Visual Art class presents a valuable solution, helping guide students in making informed decisions about enrolling in subsequent art classes.

Introduced last school year, Foundations of Visual Art gives students the opportunity to experiment with different art styles and concepts. The course is crucial in developing the skills required for higher-level art courses.

While some students may overlook art classes in the curriculum, they are missing the whole point of why these credits are necessary. Art can be applied to many career paths, as students will retain skills such as creative thinking, building, photography, and broader skills such as collaboration, focus and problem-solving.  

“The course is crucial in developing the skills required for higher-level art courses.”

Although the class is only a semester-long course, it spans three main units: 2D, 3D and 4D. The 2D unit focuses on drawing, lines and perspective. Students work to draw different objects such as light bulbs, shells and flowers while using skills like shading, using space and representing light. 

The 3D unit emphasizes learning about construction. Students use clay to make sculptures and use recycled materials to create other objects. In doing so, students learn the fundamentals of building structures. 

Finally, the 4D unit focuses on video and photography. The class is taught how to use cameras and iMovie, as well as knowledge of different types of camera shots to produce a video project. The project being a composition of many different angles, uses of time and other components. 

This class is beneficial because students study different art forms in a shorter span than specialized classes where artists commit to a single form for a semester or full year. In Foundations of Visual Arts, students learn the basis of different departments and broaden their perspectives on a variety of art forms. Exploring the different areas of art is essential for students to decide which classes they are truly passionate about and want to pursue. 

Since the course teaches principles of design and aesthetics, it’s still useful to those willing to pursue other fields, such as graphic design, architecture, psychology and marketing.

The compulsory Foundations of Visual Arts prerequisite class is far more beneficial to beginning students than specialized art courses as it provides a well-rounded knowledge of art. Students should recognize the value of the course as an opportunity to learn versatile skills across many academic disciplines.

Embed Code: