Taylor Swift’s success demonstrates benefits of business approach to entertainment

Illustration by Noelle Quintin. Photo used with permission from Ronald Woan/Flickr
Taylor Swift, who was recently named Time’s Person of the Year, has used a tactical approach to her career in recent years that has expanded her popularity. The benefits have been felt by fans, the wider music industry and the economy as a whole.

2023 has been a massive year for Taylor Swift, whose media presence has become increasingly ubiquitous. Through several strategic moves, namely embracing her previous eras and fusing them into her present-day brand, Swift has expanded her popularity and relevance. Not only that: she has transformed from a popstar to a brand of her own.

Swift’s ability to keep an enormous audience loyal throughout various releases and genre shifts has brought multiple generations of fans together. Her business-savvy approach to her re-recordings and her embrace of previous eras have no doubt fuelled her rise further as listeners now have the opportunity to experience Swift’s albums from earlier years in the current moment.

Swift is currently re-recording her first six albums following a dispute that saw the sale of her catalog to music manager Scooter Braun in 2019. The re-recording process, which Swift embarked on in 2021, has undoubtedly boosted Swift’s momentum as many long-standing fans have returned due to nostalgia, while new fans have jumped on the Swiftie train to experience her older albums. 

Swift’s ability to keep an enormous audience loyal throughout various releases and genre shifts has brought multiple generations of fans together.

Swift’s line of attack has not only contributed to her personal success as an artist but has reaped economic benefits for the music industry and local communities alike.

Her increase in listeners seemed evident when Swift released her 10th album, “Midnights,” Oct. 21, 2022, which sold 1.5 million units in the U.S. in its first week, earning Swift the biggest debut of her career, according to Billboard. It also became the most streamed album in a day in Spotify history, opening with over 185 million streams upon release. 

Swift released her latest re-recording, “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” Oct. 27. The re-recording debuted with 1.6 million sales in its first week, according to Variety. In doing so, it surpassed “Midnights” to become Swift’s biggest opening ever, proving her burgeoning success.

Swift debuted in 2006, two years before Spotify was launched. The fact that she is now breaking records on the platform – and was named Spotify’s top global artist for 2023 – demonstrates her long-lasting impact and relevance, along with her ability to not just adapt to changes in the music industry, but to triumph over them.

When Swift announced last November that she was embarking on an “Eras Tour,” which would encompass 16 years of her career, fans wanted in. Sky-high demand for the U.S. leg of the tour caused Ticketmaster to crash.

Swift’s U.S. tour dates, which commenced in March, turned into an immense cultural phenomenon while concurrently helping to propel the economy. According to The Washington Post, the tour boosted the U.S. economy by nearly $6 billion. 

Cities rolled out their red carpets to welcome Swift as her tour swept across North America. Glendale, Arizona, for example, temporarily changed its name to “Swift City,” according to NME. The impact, however, went beyond mere symbolism. According to Time Magazine, the opening night of her tour brought in more revenue to businesses in Glendale than the Super Bowl, which the city had hosted in February. 

In a sign of the further impact that transcends monetary benefits, the tour boosted Swift’s catalog so much that by its 10th week, her streaming numbers were up 80%, according to Billboard. In addition, at 107 million monthly listeners at the time of writing, Swift is fast approaching the Spotify record for the most monthly listeners ever. 

Furthermore, the re-emergence of vinyl has picked up steam rapidly this year, with The Guardian reporting that in the first half of 2023, vinyl sales were up 21% compared to the same period last year. 

Swift has played into the vinyl revival, encouraging fans to buy vinyl copies of her releases and even serving as the ambassador for Global Record Store Day in 2022, according to Rolling Stone. She holds the record for the two largest weeks of vinyl sales since tracking began in 1991, according to Billboard, with “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” and “Midnights” debuting with around 580,000 copies each in their respective first weeks.

Swift’s cultural omnipresence has turned her into a force capable of generating an impact that goes beyond the music industry.

In another brilliant move, Swift released a concert film of her tour Oct. 13. So far, it has been released in more than 100 countries worldwide, according to Billboard.  The decision to put out a concert film not only makes sense economically – Rolling Stone reported that it brought in $100 million in box office revenue in its first weekend in the U.S. – it also makes sense for Swift’s fans, as those who were unable to get tickets to see her live can now have some semblance of seeing her on tour.

Moreover, when Swift showed up unannounced at a Kansas City Chiefs game Sept. 24 to watch her new boyfriend, Travis Kelce, play, jersey sales for Kelce spiked nearly 400%, according to ESPN. When she showed up at another game Oct. 1, viewership spiked to 27 million, delivering the highest NFL ratings since the Super Bowl. Swift’s influence in the sports world illustrates her ability to garner greater interest in anything she is associated with. 

Swift’s savvy marketing has clearly paid off – her cultural omnipresence has turned her into a force capable of generating an impact that goes beyond the music industry.

Her tour is expected to arrive at Wembley Stadium here in London for eight nights next summer, according to BBC. With two more re-recordings down the line and the Eras Tour set to continue until the end of 2024, Swift’s dominance – as well as the rewards it yields to fans and the economy alike – will likely continue well into the coming year.