Steven Lewis shares insight into crew year-round season

The+crew+team+celebrates+together+after+the+majority+of+the+team%E2%80%99s+first+race+of+the+season+at+the+Wallingford+Long+Distance+Sculls+Sept.+30.+The+team+competed+in+the+race+after+training+throughout+the+fall+in+preparation+for+their+upcoming+races.+
Photo courtesy of Steven Lewis
The crew team celebrates together after the majority of the team’s first race of the season at the Wallingford Long Distance Sculls Sept. 30. The team competed in the race after training throughout the fall in preparation for their upcoming races.

Steven Lewis (’25) was introduced to the sport of rowing upon entering high school in the fall of 2021. After being inspired by other student athletes, he decided to join the crew team and has been rowing ever since.

“I decided to try crew during the fall season of my freshman year,” he said. “As soon as I joined the team, I fell in love with rowing.”

Unlike all other teams at the school, the crew team’s training schedule spans all three sports seasons. Starting in late August with other fall sports, they continue to row until their final race in early July, totaling nine months of training and competition.

During the extended season, the crew team undergoes different stages of training and competition. Lewis said the first few months of the season serve as an adjustment phase.

“During the fall season our main goal is just to get back into the rhythm of training,” he said. “Especially after taking time off in the summer, it’s extremely important for our success later in the season that we use this time to readjust and build our fitness back up.”

As winter approaches, Lewis shifts his focus to the first races of the year.

“We have our first head races throughout the winter months, and this is a pivotal point in our season when we complete the bulk of our training,” he said.

Looking ahead to the spring season, multiple races are scheduled from March to May, culminating in the Henley Royal Regatta in July where the team will compete against teams from across England.

“It’s in these next few months of competitions and races that we really begin to see all of our hard work pay off,” he said.

The crew team trains up to six days a week, combining gym sessions with time on rowing machines and on the water. Despite the demanding practices, Lewis said the supportive team dynamic encourages him to stay motivated.

“When our team goes through challenges together, it makes it easier for us to improve knowing that we’re all struggling,” he said. “This applies throughout both hard practices and during competitions.”

As the crew team often races in groups of two or four, team dynamics play a significant role in the sport, and for Lewis, it’s what he enjoys most.

“It’s my teammates and the connections I’ve built with them that really inspired me to start rowing in the first place,” he said. “My favorite part of crew is seeing my teammates push each other to improve, since it’s these people that got me to where I am with the sport today.”

Lewis said the team’s desire to succeed at their upcoming races serve as additional motivation for improvement.

“It’s really great to see how much faster everyone has gotten throughout our fall and winter training,” he said. “I hope our team continues to progress and we see all of our hard work pay off with a medal at the National Schools Regatta.”

As he looks forward to the process of college recruitment, Lewis said he hopes to continue competing in the next chapter of his life.

“Since joining the crew team, I’ve been passionate about rowing and the way it challenges me both mentally and physically,” Lewis said. “My experience on the ASL crew team has been so positive that I’m looking forward to continue improving as both an athlete and an individual in the future.”