Peer Leadership expands to Grade 10 for 2024-25 school year

The+2023-24+Peer+Leadership+group+walks+together+during+their+retreat+in+Wolverhampton+Sept.+3%2C+2023.+The+Peer+Leadership+program+will+expand+to+both+Grades+9+and+10+for+the+2024-25+school+year.+
Photo courtesy of Clara Martinez
The 2023-24 Peer Leadership group walks together during their retreat in Wolverhampton Sept. 3, 2023. The Peer Leadership program will expand to both Grades 9 and 10 for the 2024-25 school year.

The Peer Leadership program will expand from pairing Grade 12 students with Grade 9 advisories to assigning peer leaders for both Grades 9 and 10 for the 2024-25 school year, according to Grade 9 Dean and Peer Leadership Coordinator Duncan Pringle. The decision was made by Pringle and other members of the administration after they noticed a need for additional support within the Grade 10 class.

In regards to the course, Pringle said the two cohorts will be separated into different class periods so that they can work together as a smaller team. There will be one class with 11 students dedicated to Grade 9 students and one class with 11 more students dedicated to Grade 10. Previously, the Peer Leadership program consisted of one cohort of Grade 12 students who offered support to Grade 9 students during advisory time. Pringle said this change will run as a trial next year and then be reevaluated in hopes that it could be permanent.

Pringle said this change was necessary because Grade 10 students would benefit from the “wisdom and experience” of seniors.

Moreover, Pringle said it’s “worth giving a try” since there is enough help and support to give out to students who would strongly appreciate it.

Ultimately, Pringle said there is a need for separate groups as Grade 9 students need different support compared to Grade 10 students.

“It’s very different being a Grade 10 student to being a Grade 9 student,” Pringle said. “Grade 9 peer leaders, their job is very clear there, it’s about helping them transition to high school, but the Grade 10 peer leaders will play a totally different role in a totally different stage of their high school journey.”