Grade 12 student tests positive for COVID-19 in second confirmed HS case

Cameron Spurr

Due to the first positive student case in the High School, 25 students and three faculty members are self-isolating for two weeks. The school has now reached a total of eight COVID-19 cases since Sept. 17.

Cameron Spurr and Sal Cerrell

A Grade 12 student has tested positive for COVID-19 Oct. 1, bringing the cumulative number of tests at the school to eight, Head of School Robin Appleby confirmed with The Standard. 

We made it through five weeks with eight cases. That’s pretty good.”

— Head of School Robin Appleby

As a result, 25 students and three faculty members are self-isolating.

This is the second case in the High School, but the first within the student body. 

Appleby said that after following track and trace protocols, the school has determined the Grade 12 case is not connected to any previous cases, including the High School teacher who tested positive Sept. 25.

The student has not been on campus since Sept. 29. 

Appleby said that the three faculty members in self-isolation will Zoom into their classes for the next two weeks. An adult proctor will be present in the room with students until the faculty members return.  

Additionally, Appleby said that while the school does have the authority to isolate certain grade levels, an entire campus shutdown would require government approval. 

“If we were to decide that the High School needed to all stay home for two weeks, I wouldn’t get any pushback,” she said. “If I were to decide that we were going to close down the campus indefinitely for the remainder of the year … we’d have to talk to the government about that.”

According to GOV.UK, the U.K. has now reached a seven-day case average of 6,259. However, Appleby said no new advice has come from the Department of Education, from whom the administration receives a daily update.

Appleby said that despite the situation, she is still optimistic.

“We made it through five weeks with eight cases,” she said. “That’s pretty good.”