U.K. Government introduces new tiered lockdown system

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson gives a briefing on the U.K.’s COVID-19 outbreak. The government introduced a new plan to quell the spread of the virus based on local risk levels Oct. 12.
Photo used with permission from Pippa Fowles / No 10 Downing Street

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson introduced a new lockdown system Oct. 12 to control the spread of COVID-19, which has been rising. According to GOV.UK, the seven-day average in cases has increased by 9,494 between Sept. 29 and Oct. 11.

The new system introduces three tiers, each of which sets forth more extensive lockdown protocols than the last. The local COVID alert levels are medium, high and very high. The government assigns one of these alert levels to specific areas based on the rate of transmission in the region.

Currently, London is still at medium risk, but other parts of the country, such as Liverpool, are under the very high risk level and have far more stringent protocols in place. However, Marco Parisse (’23) said that London’s risk level could change.

London has the potential to be a city where the virus is going to spread like a wildfire.

— Marco Parisse ('23)

“[London’s alert level] definitely could increase, because London has the potential to be a city where the virus is going to spread like a wildfire,” he said.

Parisse said that throughout the pandemic, the government’s messaging has been contradictory. He said that likewise, the tiered system is not very effective in explaining restrictions.

“I’m not even sure about what rules to do anymore,” he said. “Because it depends on what area of the country, whether you’re in Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales or England … It’s becoming a lot more confusing.”

However, Parisse said that the tiered system’s localization of lockdowns could be beneficial rather than mandating restrictions nationally, which draws objection from areas with a relatively small rate of transmission.

“The tier system could work because it gives the government a chance to control specific areas of the countries without having to make laws which influence everybody,” he said.