Administration sets dates for AP exams, makes exams optional

Photo used with permission from Tookapic/Pexels. CollegeBoard/AP logo used with permission from Jtk13/WikimediaCommons.
After College Board set out three exam administration dates for APs, ASL has set out a plan for how it will hold the tests. The administration also made them non-compulsory.

The administration informed students enrolled in AP courses of its intentions for AP exams March 12, including a notice that students can opt out of sitting their exam, per Assistant Principal Natalie Jaworski.

Ahead of the administration’s decision, College Board had announced various changes to Spring AP exams in mid-February, allowing schools to choose which dates they hold exams from three separate administration windows.

The date for each course’s exam is available on this spreadsheet, ranging from May 5 to June 8. (Note: access requires an ASL domain Google account.) 

All digital exams will be taken at home, beginning at 5 pm or 9 pm. In-person exams will take place on campus or at the Danubius Hotel.

Jaworski said making exams optional was the “compassionate option” as students have dealt with distance learning and other pressures throughout the year. 

From an AP student’s perspective, Dylan Linton (’23) said removing the exam as a requirement provides relief from any anxiety surrounding taking the exam.

“I’ve been stressing a lot and having the option … I think will be beneficial,” he said.

Jaworski said students do not have to immediately declare whether they will sit the exam, allowing time for consultation with teachers, parents and University Advisors. Although no deadline has been set, students will need to make their intentions clear by late April.

In order to lay out their plan, Jaworski said the administration elicited input from teachers in the hope that the exam dates fit best with the requirements and pacing of each course. She said some teachers also requested feedback from students.

Linton said his teachers have relayed information concerning the exam process as transparently as possible.

In addition, Jaworski said no matter if students are set to take a digital or print exam, they will need to prepare their computers for the digital option in case of self-isolation or other complications that would prevent taking the exam with paper and pencil.

Grace Hamilton and Gabrielle Meidar contributed to reporting.