Grade 11 students participate in college kickoff

Gabrielle Meidar

University Advisor Joanna Shearer introduces Maia Learning to Grade 11 students and parents. Maia Learning is a platform for students to explore different universities and compile a list of those that interest them.

Gabrielle Meidar, Lead News Editor

Grade 11 students and parents were invited to the University Advising Department’s college kickoff meeting Sept. 20 from 6-8 p.m. in the School Center. According to University Advisor Nicole Thompson, the first hour of the event consisted of the University Advising team introducing themselves and outlining their approaches toward the university application process via a slideshow presentation. 

The slideshow was used to present information regarding various types of university systems, standardized testing and upcoming events for Grade 11 students, per Thompson. Joshua Berner (’23), who attended the event with both of his parents, said he appreciated the “broad range of information” that was presented. 

“They really hit on every topic,” he said. “I feel a lot more comfortable now with all this information they provided us.”

Thompson said from 7-8 p.m. parents heard from a U.S. admissions officer guest speaker in the School Center. Meanwhile, students gathered in the Commons for a Q&A with University Advisors and to prepare for the University Fair Sept. 22. 

Berner said he felt reassured after hearing from the University Advisors because of how informed they appeared to be. 

“My biggest takeaway is that the University Advisors are a great resource that we have, and I feel a lot more comfortable that there is a great staff at ASL that can help us,” he said.