Students gather for Grade 12 social event despite Head of School’s absence

Clara Martinez
Interim High School Principal Jack Phillips delivers a speech to Grade 12 students in Bruce House Garden Aug. 24. At the gathering, food and drinks were provided as students mingled and received their red senior shirts.

Grade 12 students received their red “Seniors 2024” shirts Aug. 24 at a Grade 12 social organized by Head of School Matt Horvat. Interim High School Principal Jack Phillips and Horvat’s wife, Susan Fine, delivered speeches since Horvat was unable to attend due to family circumstances. Phillips said the Bruce House Garden gathering was inspired by a tradition at Horvat’s previous school where seniors would make welcome signs to bond as leaders before the start of the school year.

“There’s something symbolic about the leader of the school and the leaders of the school being together to kick off the school year, and I think that was kind of [Horvat’s] vision,” Phillips said. “It is a recognition of all your high school experience, but also the opportunity to establish yourselves as leaders of the community.”

Margot Crawford (’24) said she enjoyed the opportunity to bond with other Grade 12 students and demonstrate her school pride.

“I’m happy to see a lot of school spirit,” Crawford said. “Everyone’s coming together and hanging out, and it seems really positive so far.”

The next Grade 12 event is “Senior Sunrise,” a traditional gathering for students at Primrose Hill that begins around 5 a.m. Aug. 25. As a result of this week’s activities, Crawford said excitement among the grade has soared, and she hopes seniors will continue “to be engaged with the community and with the grade.”