Natalie Maisey announced as Interim HS principal for upcoming school year

Rahil Punshi
Assistant Principal Natalie Maisey will take the place of Interim HS Principal Jack Phillips in July. Her arrival will mark the third academic year in which the High School has had different principals.

Assistant Principal Natalie Maisey has been announced as the Interim High School Principal for the upcoming school year, according to Head of School Matthew Horvat. Maisey is set to begin her role in July, assuming the position from current Interim HS Principal Jack Phillips when he moves back to Philadelphia next year.

Horvat said there were three finalists in the search before Maisey was given the role. However, he said the search for a permanent HS Principal was unsuccessful, and the school will continue their recruitment next year.

After the unsuccessful search, Horvat said he requested Maisey serve as principal.

“She was the first person that I thought of to say like, ‘she’s been here almost 10 years and has significant experience as a teacher, but then also as administrator of the school,’” Horvat said.

To prepare for the transition, Horvat said Maisey and Phillips are working together.

“She’s working closely with Dr. Phillips,” Horvat said. “They’re talking about like, you know, ‘how are we going to manage things?’ I think her interest in taking the position was just some of the progress that she and Dr. Phillips have made in a couple of different areas in High School.”

Mac John (’26), who is in Maisey’s advisory, said he and fellow advisory members are proud of her as she assumes this new role.

“Everyone in the advisory is really happy because it’s a big step up for her,” John said. “The good thing is that she will still remain as our advisor.”

Moreover, John said although the new role is substantial, he thinks Maisey can handle it from her years as Assistant Principal.

In addition, Horvat said although having another Interim High School Principal next year will be difficult, Maisey will continue the work of former principals.

“Even though we have another interim, I think we’ll have consistency in the work they’ve done this year which will feed into next year,” Horvat said. “I would be worried if we had an interim this year and then somebody from the outside come as interim next year.”

Maisey said she is looking forward to working in her new role, especially since she’s been at the school for a long time. Maisey said she worked at the school since 2014 and taught in the social studies department before becoming the Assistant Principal.

Furthermore, Maisey said she will still remain as an advisor as she steps into the new role.

“I already spoke with my advisory to let them know that I will remain their advisor and that was actually a non-negotiable for me,” Maisey said. “I love my advisory. I love being an advisor and wouldn’t take the role if I had to do that.”

Maisey said she has a deep affection for the school community and is looking forward to leading the high school.

“I just want to reiterate that I really love ASL,” Maisey said. “I love this community. I love serving the students and the teachers here. I just think it is the best school in the world. I really do feel honored and humbled to be asked to lead.”