Student Council elects Gus Bhatia, Jaden Gardiola as president, vice-president

Photo courtesy of Gus Bhatia
Student Council president Gus Bhatia (’25) and vice-president Jaden Gardiola (’25) pose together. The vote followed a ranked-choice voting system, where Student Council members would rank their desired candidates in order.

Following Student Council’s leadership elections, Gus Bhatia (’25) and Jaden Gardiola (’25) were elected president and vice president respectively Feb. 22. They will be stepping into the roles formerly held by Marcus Chae (’24) and Ela Gulener (’24) for the 2024-25 school year.

Bhatia said the anticipation of elections took up his schedule over the past few days.

“I haven’t done homework at all these past few days, because this is really all I’ve been able to think about,” Bhatia said. “I think it’s a big change for me and the Council.”

Student Council Member Tami Shasha (’26) said she was pleased with the increased number of students who ran as potential presidential candidates.

“It’s nice to see more and more candidates stepping up,” Shasha said. “In previous years, there has been some hesitation, but this year, there were a lot more candidates who ran.”

Looking forward, Bhatia said his primary goal as president next year will be to foster a collaborative environment within the student body.

“My main goal for StuCo is to have an environment where everyone is comfortable being happy for each other,” Bhatia said. “This collaboration over competitiveness, in which, you know, people are truly excited for the great things that happen to each other around campus.”

Former StuCo President Marcus Chae (’24) said he hopes to work with the new president and vice-president to ensure a smooth transition.

“I’ll be very much present,” Chae said. “Especially when it comes to meeting new people, I will introduce them to people like Ms. Jones, as well as Ms. Roth, the Head of the Board of Trustees and Head of PCA Mrs. Khatiblou as well.”

Chae said although school spirit was strong this year, he is confident that Bhatia and Gardiola can bolster camaraderie among students.

“Spirit was great this year,” Chae said. “But, it wasn’t as good as it was in the past. I think that’s one place where Gus and Jaden will be amazing in following up and improving that.”