5 British bands gain popularity, grow audience beyond London

The+Cucamaras+perform+in+a+concert+hall+in+St.+Albans%2C+England+Nov.+22%2C+2023.+According+to+EXAG+Records%2C+it+was+their+fifth+performance+in+a+series+of+10+across+the+U.K.+
    Image used with permission from Flickr
    The Cucamaras perform in a concert hall in St. Albans, England Nov. 22, 2023. According to EXAG’ Records, it was their fifth performance in a series of 10 across the U.K.

At times, we all grow tired of endlessly replaying the same songs from the same chart-topping artists. From indie-rock to punk, these bands will bring refreshing new melodies to your playlist, and have established themselves as emerging British bands to keep an eye on.

1. second thoughts

second thoughts is an indie-rock band originating from Hertfordshire, established in 2018 when they met in a GCSE music class. The band is comprised of singing guitarists Ben Campbell and Jude McCreath, drummer David Addison and bass guitarist Clara Freeman-Taylor. second thoughts initially brought a pop-inspired sound to their 2021 EP “stay hydrated” before transitioning to more alternative and indie-style music, as seen in their EP “nicotine stains” which was released Jan. 19, 2022. 

During the summer, the band performed at their sold-out Manchester Academy show, opened by alternative rock band Sports Team. The following April, second thoughts released their latest EP “fluke.” The EP contains “somebody to talk about,” a song that skillfully tackles the topic of not caring what people think about you and gaining self-confidence. The tune oozes themes of coming-of-age, with upbeat instrumentation and lyrics unbothered in nature. If you’re looking for some indie tunes on a relaxed Sunday afternoon, “fluke” is definitely the place to start.   

1. Cucamaras

Based in Nottingham, the Cucamaras are synonymous with the indie punk sound. Formed by vocalists Olly Bowley and Josh Hart, bassist Dan McGrath and drummer Joe Newton, the band has cultivated a following of almost 9,500 monthly listeners, according to Spotify. Their musical journey began in 2019, initially playing indie songs and performing around Nottingham. 

Their debut EP “Until the Meter Runs Out” showcases the band’s punchy indie-rock sound, blending big hooks with immense riffs. The pandemic served as an opportunity for the band to reinvent themselves, adding a wiry edge to their sound and lyrics that delve into more philosophical topics, according to New Musical Express. Their lead single, “Death Of The Social,” reflects this change – an intense and energetic post-punk track. The song tackles the downsides of technology and societal divides within the concise span of a three-minute punk track. According to TicketMaster, the band is set to perform live in Birmingham, Leicester and Manchester in the coming months. 

1. Eades

After securing one of So Young Magazine’s tracks of the year with “Reno” and receiving an NME 100 Bands to Watch award, as mentioned in Haste Magazine, Eades is unquestionably the top choice for those seeking soulful indie tunes. The five-piece spent 2022 on an extensive tour across the U.K. and Europe, showcasing their debut album “Delusion Spree” and amassing a following of well over 3,000 monthly listeners, according to Spotify.

The band’s widely acclaimed track, “Reno,” follows the story of a sociopathic arsonist, covering the journey from arrest to court case. Impressively, the band handled the entire process of writing, recording and mixing the hit in their recording space at Bam Bam Studios in Leeds. 

Marking their continued success, “Reno (Pt. 2)” was released March 22, coinciding with Eades’ sold-out headline U.K. tour alongside rock band Wunderhorse. For those who love infectious melodies, their tracks play like the soundtrack to an indie Brit flick in all the right ways.

1. Beige Banquet

Looping drum beats, anxious vocals and a formidable guitar start as the foundations for a Beige Banquet track. The London-based indie-punk band started in 2020, initially as a one-man show. Vocalist and guitarist Tom Brierly produced Beige Banquet’s debut album “Beta” in his makeshift bedroom studio in 2021. 

Soon after, the band expanded into a five-piece with the additions of drummer Ian Crafter, singing guitarist Joe Munsey, bassist Danny Gilies and Blake Carlson-Joshua who handles percussion, synthesizers and vocals. They spent the next two years touring around Europe, transforming their experimental recordings into electrifying live shows. 

According to Spotify, the band is scheduled to release their second album, and first as a full band, in early 2024. For those seeking punk music with an edgy, unapologetic vibe, Beige Banquet does exactly that.  

1. CVC

CVC, or Church Village Collective in full, named their band after the Welsh town they come from. CVC is known for its riffs, rich three-part harmonies and tight beats, all tied together with their distinctive 1960s fashion sense. 

The six-piece’s debut album “Get Real,” produced by the band and mixed by former Arctic Monkeys member Ross Orton, is an enticing blend of psych-pop melodies made for open-air performances at sundown. The album notably earned a nomination for the “Welsh Music Prize” and was also recognized by NME, The Times and The Guardian, as evident from their Instagram post marking the release of “Get Real.” With compelling and energizing tracks, CVC is undoubtedly a band worthy of securing a spot on your playlist.