Dominique Ansel Review

With the Dominique Ansel Bakery achieving massive success in New York and Tokyo, the bakery finally arrived in London with its world-renowned “Cronut”: A mix between a croissant and a doughnut.

On September 30, Dominique Ansel opened a store at 17-21 Elizabeth Street in Belgravia. The bakery takes inspiration from classic Parisian cafés with its lively atmosphere and contemporary decór.

Within moments of its opening, lines were out the door. According to the New York Times, people have occasionally had to wait in line at the original New York Bakery in SoHo for up to two and a half hours prior to the opening of the store at 8 a.m.

With the immense popularity of the store in New York, I had to go to the London location on its opening day in order to experience what the bakery had to offer.

However, it is not only the Cronut that keeps me coming back to the bakery. One of the delicious items that I’ve bought multiple times is their chicken pot pie. The pastry and the chicken make a perfect meal choice for any brunch, and it is paired with a salad that blends well with the rest of the dish.

The Dominique Ansel Bakery is a great place for a meal, but also can satisfy a snack for anyone’s sweet tooth.

One of the bakery’s most popular dishes is the famous cookie shot. It features a chocolate chip cookie “cup”, with vanilla-infused milk poured inside. In addition, Dominique’s Kouign Amman, or DKA is a caramelized croissant-like pastry with thin croissant layers inside. It tastes amazing, and is one of the most favored and unique items on the menu. The mini madeleines come in packs of 10 or 20. Piping hot, the madeleines are absolutely delicious once they come out of the oven, with the taste of lemon zest and powdered sugar making a soothing combination for one’s palate.

As the bakery is always buzzing with people throughout the day, it is best to avoid going in around lunchtime and on weekends, as that is when the bakery is most busy and lines are longest. Going to the bakery in the morning during the week is probably the best time to go, as lines are shorter and there are more tables available.

With the success of the original bakery, I had been excited to experience the taste of the ever-popular cronut. Now that I have had an opportunity to taste some of the best items on the menu, I have come to the realization that the bakery is about so much more than the Cronut that has been topping the headlines.

Photo by Culture Editor Alex Gers