Security update in the wake of terror attack

Shortly after Ariana Grande’s concert on May 21 at Manchester Arena, a bomb was detonated, leaving 22 people dead and 116 injured.

Head of School Coreen Hester sent an email to the entire school community following the attack and the terrorism alert in the U.K. changing from “severe” to “critical” on May 24. The “critical” alert marks the first time in a decade the U.K. reached that level.

Head of Security Barak Favé said that the security team is increasing assertiveness around the school on top of enhanced efforts to ensure the safety of the school based on recent terrorist attacks in Europe. “ We have been proactive, so everything that we have changed was made a few weeks ago, if not months ago,” Fave said.

The day after the attack, new barriers on the steps of the Waverley Place entrance were employed redirecting the traffic flow for anyone entering the building on foot.

The security team has also made it more explicit that student bags are now prohibited at either entrance, although this has been a rule for several months, Favé said.

Despite the frequent terrorist attacks that have caused fear amongst the community, Favé said the aim of the security team remains to “just keep everyone safe and to allow you to do what you need to do, which is get an education.”  

Written by Staff Writer Anastasia Ruimy and Staff Writer Maya Ariburnu. Online Editor Maddie Sayre and Managing Editor: Online Christina Leonard contributed to reporting.

Photo by Online Editor Maddie Sayre